History

Brief History of Harare City Library

The Harare City Library (HCL) was established in 1893 first as a book club which then evolved into a library in 1896. It was later named the Queen Victoria Memorial Library in honour of Her Most Majesty the Queen Victoria of Great Britain. The library was established as a lending public library whose main mandate was to provide reading material to the borrowing public as well as provide reference services.

Today the Library offers a wider range of services which places it at the heart of the community by attracting not only those in search of academic knowledge but also those in search of entertainment and talent development.